Friday, March 20, 2009


Hello all!
Finally a chance to catch you up on an amazing week. You will notice the "Mount Kilimanjaro' on the side of this plane. After spending an unexpected night in NY. I was very excited to board for Kili in Amsterdam. The flight was wonderful. My row was shared by a Dutch opthamologist who had been to KCMC before and had great information and tips for survival.
I arrived safely, but my luggage did not arrive until Tuesday morning. Oh well, as they say, this is Africa!
My ride in to Moshi was very interesting. I was picked up by a KCMC driver who did not speak English. We proceeded to speed through the night on a bumpy highway in an open jeep.The stars were incredible, and for the rainy season, no rain! An amazing number of people walking the highway and night.
In the morning, after a restless attempt at sleep, I awoke to a beautiful sunny day, and took some pictures of the garden around the house.
I have a fantastic group of housemates. Tara and Alec were the first people I met. They are medical students from the U.K. Tatyana is a physical therapist from Germany. Lilly is a med student from Cornell University and Fritz is a retired Dutch Ob/gyn. Everyone is very compatible and helpful, looking out for one another. To me it's like being at a wonderful summer camp, with extras like someone to do my laundry.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jen!!

    Awesome posts...it sounds like you had a few bumps in the road getting there! WOW what awesome photos...I love the mountains and can't imagine what Mt K. must look like so close up. The night ride in the jeep sounded pretty neat too :-)
    Christina

    ReplyDelete